Skip to main content

Where Do You See Yourself in Five Years?



Ohh boy.. What a question. As someone who graduated university two years ago I thought I would be more established and knowing what I want to do in the future. I am currently employed full time, my first professional job. I am a library settlement worker, I help newcomers to Canada with information and orientation services in the library. I am employed by a non-profit organization but we have a partnership in the library, so no the library doesn’t pay me. I love the organization because they do so many different things in the community; like children literacy groups, youth groups for  both newcomers and mainstream Canadian youth, settlement services and counseling, basic needs, anti-racism and bullying, and so much more! The job itself is rewarding even though there are some restrictions on the services we are able to provide for a client the feedback from the clients are always positive.
What is the problem?
Related imageOther than the fact that I am on a contract that has possibility for renewal which isn’t even my biggest concern. My concern is that I do not see myself doing this for the rest of my life and to go a little deeper I have no idea what my “dream job” would even be. I have many topics that interest me but I don’t think I could pursue a career in any of them. I like natural home-made products like soaps, lotions, deodorants, and laundry soaps and possibly selling them. I love the wedding industry including make centre pieces, invitations, candy tables, and favours. I do like helping newcomers to Canada settle but I think I like more the immigration side of this, I could see myself being an immigration consultant for a while.

Regrets

The biggest regret I have is not continuing with French during high school and sticking through it during university. I guess you could argue that it is not too late to start which is true but it would've been easier to learn going through it day by day in school.

Another big debate I am contemplating is whether or not I should go back to university as a "special student" to raise my grades and later apply to complete my Masters. My marks were terrible during school there is no way I could apply for a Masters with the grades on my transcripts.

Stability

I am sure everyone who is working by contract or as a temp would understand that there is no stability whatsoever. As soon as it is nearing the end of your contract term you might get an extension or the boot. Whatever the case is there is no vacation days, no benefits, and no stability! The experience is always good but having no stability or that extra security with benefits is a groaner. I'm feeling the struggle of it now since I have thousands of dollars worth of dental work that needs to be done and nothing to ease the pain of my wallet.

The Plan?

Like many people, I have no immediate plan as I change my mind every five minutes so I guess the short term plan would be to sit down and contemplate on what my plan is. Come up with realistic achievable goals with realistic outcomes and think about where to go from there. Being the way I am now is not going to work out for me plus I have a family I need to think of that I would like to grow as well but can't at the way things are going now. Who knows you might get an update from me in the next couple of months saying I got a new permanent jobs and things are good for now. Realistically, I need to do something to expand my current skills and open new doors for me I know that for a fact. Now I just need to set out and find those opportunities.
Image result for quotes about goals

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toys for Toddlers

Toys can be a crucial part of a toddlers development of the brain and the senses. My daughter recently turned a year old and loves to play and explore everything around her. Books can be a great way to stimulate the mind, my daughter often brings books from her playroom and gives them to me to read to her. Pointing to the words as you read will help them follow along I've caught my girl pretending to read a few times and pointing as she babbles. Monkey see, monkey do 🙈. I love when she picks up on things that I do and it helps you see that your little one is on the right track.                                          Boxes that helps babies identify and experiment with different shapes and colours helps children as well. It builds problem solving skills, allows them to explore, and concentrate on the task at hand. The red toy with the shapes has an outline of the blocks in the same colour they appear, it's a great opportunity to teach colours as well! These electronic bo

Happy 4th Birthday Malak!

January 26, 2019 Another year has flown by yet again, I can't believe you are 4 already and starting school in September! Every day that passes you are getting smarter than the day before and the things you say sometimes are absolutely amazing. I love you to the moon Malak and hope this birthday was everything you hoped for and more. Having just entered into my 9th month of pregnancy I knew this party would be a bit of a challenge nonetheless I didn't want anything to get in the way of Malak's birthday (since she talks about it all year). Thank God everything came together beautifully and Malak was a happy camper. This year Malak chose a Pokemon themed birthday party. I thought that it would be simple as its so popular now (again). The thing with Pokemon items is that they are expensive! But that's never stopped me before, I enjoyed a lot of the DIY games put together and early planning to avoid disappointment. I ordered plates, loot bags, napkins, banners, straw

[Review] Fossil Limited Edition Rainbow Jeweled Watch

  On Saturday my beautiful Limited Edition Lyric Three- Hand Black Stainless-Steel Watch that I ordered through Fossil's website arrived, how's that for a name? I love that it still managed to make it on the weekend!  The Fossil brand itself lives up to the standard. Their watches and accessories and well made and in my opinion worth the price. The materials are good and lasting if you are a person who takes care of their stuff. They have a variety of different styles to address each person's individual taste. They have classic styles, leather bands, metal bands, glitz and glam styles, men's watches, and much more! Be sure to check out their accessories if you are going to look through the website. They are not considered a 'luxury' brand but I really enjoy the styles for the affordability. Now into some of my watch particulars. I got it on sale for $130 originally $260 PLUS an additional 30% off. The watch itself is black with the newer style tight links. Idea