Skip to main content

The Working from Home Age

My latest update is that on April 1st was official day as per my contract as a Settlement Counsellor with Northwest London Resource Centre! For those who don't know it is a step up from my previous job as a Library Settlement Worker. The hours are better for me now, before I was working evenings and Saturdays but for this job I will have the option of working 8:30-4:30 pm or let's say I want to drive my daughter to school and then go to work I can do a 9:30-5:30 pm. The flexibility on their end is fabulous and I really appreciated having the option. So, obviously now things are a little different being in the COVID-19 age of having all non-essential places shut down we were deemed a non-essential service. Now we are working from home!


My husband made an excellent observation about me and said if thing were different and you had the option to be working from home or being in the office I think you would choose to work from home. I think once upon a time I would've agreed with him because I would've had the CHOICE. Now I am not sure that I am cut out to work from home. Do not get me wrong it has its perks but it isn't as easy as I thought it was going to be. The good part is you can wake up whenever you want, wear whatever you want, and eat whenever you want (if that's your work style). The biggest progress that I wanted to share with you is that part of this journey of working from home has been self-discovery and getting to know myself more. Here are some things that have helped me through this process.

First of all figure out when your best time of work is. Are you a morning bird or a night owl? Do you work better in mid-day? I work better in the morning. I like to be up early and not 'work' clothed but in a new outfit for the day. If you want to put on makeup I say GO FOR IT! There is something about makeup that boosts my confidence and helps me be more alert so I do like to put on some makeup for my work day. Make yourself a drink and eat a meal and be ready to start. Organize your day or your week and stick to a routine. Just like you would do if you were in the office. If you are fortunate enough to have a great support system at home kudos to you. Use it to your advantage, if not it just requires a little more planning from you and some creativity. Work through your kids nap times or movie times. If you can speak to your supervisor or manager about splitting your work into shifts like a few hours in the morning and a few at night while the kiddies are sleeping. I'm sure it would be fine as long as you keep the lines of communication open and that it is workable in your line of work.

To help with my organization I have a table that I put in my room that I have designated as my desk. I have a weekly list that I purchased from the Dollar store that helps me organize my week. If you have a planner use it! If you prefer electronic reminders dedicate some time to adding reminders into your calendar or writing reminders on your desktop sticky notes. Whatever your preference is just be sure to dedicate some time to organization. Start creating a routine and see what works best for you. If you need to change things up do it. You have creative freedom!


Practice self-care. There are positives about being at home but being in front of your family day in day out can be exhausting. Tempers can flare and things can get stale quickly as much as you love them it's just the way we are. Take a breather. Go for a walk or jump rope to burn off some energy. Exercise with a home workout or take up yoga. Put on a face mask, paint your nails, pray. Anything that helps you unwind and destress. Try to make self-care a daily practice. "An empty tank will take you nowhere, take time to refuel". You are no good to others if you burn out and it definitely is not good for your own well-being.

Look for those professional development opportunities. If it is something that can directly help your career that makes it even better. If you connect with your supervisor they could let you do it as part of your home duties as working from home. If not don't let that discourage you. Do something that you've always wanted to do. Sign up for an online course or commit to learning a new language. Take up a new hobby or just try something new.

Connect with others. Take some time to check up on family, friends, and neighbours with a phone call, email, video chat. They will appreciate it as I'm sure it will help your mental health as well. It can be hard to see the same people day in and day out and a change of pace will do wonders. Check up on the most vulnerable people in your life as well. Children and the elderly will be having a hard time adjusting to all of  these changes and for children it could be hard for them to express themselves. Do some exercises that are child friendly about discussing feelings and letting out stresses. It's important to follow physical distancing in these times but it's also important to stay connected with people, you will feel better if you do.

What are you doing as part of your work from home routine? What is working for you and what isn't working? Leave me a comment below!

Stay happy, healthy, and safe! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toys for Toddlers

Toys can be a crucial part of a toddlers development of the brain and the senses. My daughter recently turned a year old and loves to play and explore everything around her. Books can be a great way to stimulate the mind, my daughter often brings books from her playroom and gives them to me to read to her. Pointing to the words as you read will help them follow along I've caught my girl pretending to read a few times and pointing as she babbles. Monkey see, monkey do 🙈. I love when she picks up on things that I do and it helps you see that your little one is on the right track.                                          Boxes that helps babies identify and experiment with different shapes and colours helps children as well. It builds problem solving skills, allows them to explore, and concentrate on the task at hand. The red toy with the shapes has an outline of the blocks in the same colour they appear, it's a great opportunity to teach colours as well! These electronic bo

Happy 4th Birthday Malak!

January 26, 2019 Another year has flown by yet again, I can't believe you are 4 already and starting school in September! Every day that passes you are getting smarter than the day before and the things you say sometimes are absolutely amazing. I love you to the moon Malak and hope this birthday was everything you hoped for and more. Having just entered into my 9th month of pregnancy I knew this party would be a bit of a challenge nonetheless I didn't want anything to get in the way of Malak's birthday (since she talks about it all year). Thank God everything came together beautifully and Malak was a happy camper. This year Malak chose a Pokemon themed birthday party. I thought that it would be simple as its so popular now (again). The thing with Pokemon items is that they are expensive! But that's never stopped me before, I enjoyed a lot of the DIY games put together and early planning to avoid disappointment. I ordered plates, loot bags, napkins, banners, straw

Trip to Sweden: Landskrona and Höganäs

It has been a while fellow bloggers since I just got back from my month long trip to Sweden! I shall be writing all about it in the next few blog post entries. My husband has three brothers who all live in Sweden and we were far overdue for a vacation anyways. Mind you this is the first time traveling with my husband in a plane and first time with kids of my own. I will be writing a post of traveling with kids on its own. Our flight was a direct flight from the Toronto airport to Copenhagen, Denmark. We were told it is faster to take a train from the airport in Copenhagen to Malmo then taking a plane to Stockholm, Sweden which would be at least a 6 hour drive from where my husband's brothers live! We arrived at around 10:20am. Upon our arrival to the airport we picked up our bags, bought a ticket for the train, and jumped on the train. Booking and board the train took the most time for us. The train took less than 15 minutes from where we were to get us to our first stop which wa